Lothian MSP, Miles Briggs, has launched a petition to save the Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion after SNP Ministers withdrew funding for a replacement hospital, for the second time in three years.
At FMQs last Thursday, Mr Briggs asked the First Minister about plans for the development of a new eye hospital for Edinburgh and the South East of Scotland. In response to Mr Briggs the First Minister stated that “There is no doubting of course that the Eye Pavilion does need built”.
Following the original decision to withdraw funding for a replacement eye hospital, a significant campaigning effort led to the previous First Minister U-turning and reinstating funding for a replacement hospital.
The current eye pavilion is no longer fit for purpose with an extensive list of maintenance issues that the health board needs to keep on top off.
There has been no money spent on the existing Princess Alexandra Eye Hospital in the last year.
The current Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion is a centre for excellence, which Lothian MSP Miles Briggs has said is at risk of being lost due to the mismanagement of budgets by SNP Ministers.
Lothian MSP, Miles Briggs, said :
“It is completely unacceptable that SNP Ministers have removed funding for a replacement Princess Alexandra Eye Hospital for the second time in two years. The current hospital is no longer fit for purpose and we need a new hospital to treat over 50,000 patients who attend the hospital every year. We are at risk of losing a centre of excellence in the South East of Scotland and future generations will have worse eye health due to this period of ineptitude by SNP Ministers. Please sign my petition for a replacement Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion to show the extent of public support for this funding to be reinstated.”
If you would like to support Mr Brigg’s petition to reinstate funding for a replacement Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion, you can find the petition here.